Mens Rugby Secures Win Against ODU

Captains finish fall season with a shutout

Mens Rugby entered their game against the ODU Monarchs hoping to secure their first win of the season before States. With players from both teams out due to injury, it was looking to be a fair match. However, thanks to aggressive offense from 5th-Year Matt Trott and skillful defense from Sophomore Nathan Staskiel, the Captains secured a 29-0 victory. This was the Captains’ first win of the season, but hopefully this momentum can carry into States.

The Captains started strong and were quickly on the scoreboard after Matt Trott scored a try, worth 5 points. Followed by a successful kick from Senior Robert Tucker, the Captains were up 7-0. 

The Captains ran into some trouble when they lost possession at their try-line, which is in a similar location to a football end zone. Fortunately, Nathan Staskiel made an intense tackle, pushing the opponent out of bounds and returning the ball to the Captains. 

Shortly after, Matt Trott scored another try and the Captains successful defense held the Monarchs out of the ODU try-line. The Monarchs then took a penalty, giving the Captains the upper hand with a strong kick that brought the teams back to the 50-yard line. 

Matt Trott scored one more try, sending the teams into half-time with a score of 17-0. 

Entering the second half, the Captains saw intense defensive skills from Sophomore Dylan Frederick, Freshman Gage Smith, and Senior Chance Usrey. Due to such successful defense, Matt Trott scored his fourth try for the Captains, bringing the Captains up 22-0. 

Sophomores Matthew Basala and Nathan Staskiel worked together for an important tackle. The Captains ended the game with a try from Junior Robert Robinson and a clean kick from Sophomore Graeme Widener. 

Claiming their 29-0 victory, the Captains look to the upcoming States Championship on November 5th and 6th. As they face teams they have already seen, the Captains hope for a performance as strong as this one.