Cups and Claws Cat Cafe

Local business helps students de-stress

Looking for somewhere to relax and destress after class, or interested in adopting a furry friend? You’re in luck because The Cups and Claws Cat Cafe has both. Located right off Warwick Boulevard and only about 10 minutes away from campus, The Cat Cafe is the perfect place for students to visit. I went on a rainy Sunday and was amazed at how clean and well decorated the room was. With couches, a record player, colorful paintings on every wall, and of course lots of cats, the entire atmosphere looked incredibly inviting. 

The Cat Cafe partners with local animal shelters to provide a place where cats of all ages, types, and sizes can become more socialized and possibly go to their forever home. 

There is a $10 admission fee per person, which according to the Cups and Claws website, is for “Continuing to care for the cats, the facility, and support the community.” However, college students who show IDs are eligible for a discount!

Included with your entrance fee besides getting to pet and play with cats, is access to the ping pong table, listening and changing the radio and record player songs, and a complimentary drink. Tea, soda, and coffee from Column 15, a popular coffee shop in Williamsburg, Virginia, are also available to purchase (with free refills!!) 

If you’re a prospective cat adopter, this is the perfect place to get to know the cat that’s the right fit for you. If you do happen to find a cat you may be interested in taking home, you simply fill out an application, and once approved by the rescue shelter, the cafe will contact you for a pickup time. Adoption fees range depending on the age of the cat, but all fees include vaccines, spay/neuter, and additional treatments if needed (such as fleas and parasites.)

For someone who is missing their cat from home, this was a great way to be able to interact with cats while also supporting a local business that helps out the animal shelters. I will definitely be returning with friends when I need a break from school.

Cups and Claws also hosts a variety of different cat-themed activities, including cat yoga, a 21+ single social with cats, painting, and a feline first aid & CPCR class. 

For more information, visit https://www.cupsandclaws.com/