Luter Expansion

The construction for Luter expansion begins
Map of changes behind Luter Hall during construction process, from email sent out by president Kelly

The expansion of Joseph W. Luter Hall, or the “Integrated Science Hall Center Phase III,” is officially breaking ground on campus. University President William Kelly sent an email to students, faculty, and staff on Friday, Aug. 25 announcing the official start of the project. 

Lot D (otherwise known as the “Luter Lot”) was closed for all of Monday while a construction crew divided the space. Part of the lot was reopened Tuesday for faculty parking. President Kelly said that the construction will take place over the course of ‘about’ 24 months. 

It will offer technologically advanced, state-of-the-art teaching and research labs, classrooms, maker spaces, robotics, study areas, a biomechanics lab, and even an unmanned aircraft system lab,” Kelly said in the email.

“ No other building on any other Virginia university campus will be as new and as advanced,” he added.

Throughout the duration of construction, some areas behind Luter will be closed off. This includes the majority of the sidewalk behind Luter, the west section of Lot D, the north entrance of Lot D, as well as the majority of the space between the east side of Forbes Hall and the Commons, and the west side of Luter Hall.

Kelly mentioned at the conclusion of his email that if anyone has questions regarding the construction site close-offs, to contact Shawn Holmes, Director of Parking Services, at 757-594-7629, or via email at [email protected].