Earthquake in Morocco

Multiple nations and organizations have pledged help to Morocco

Around 11:11 PM in the North African nation of Morocco, a devastating earthquake struck the Marrakesh-Safi region. The earthquake measured 6.8-6.9 on the moment magnitude scale, with its effects being felt from Mauritania to Spain. The devastation the quake has wrought onto the affected area, said to have over 300,000 people within, is monumental. Over 2,120 people have been killed according to CNN and experts are calling this the worst quake to hit the area in over a century. Rescue workers in Morocco are working desperately to get to survivors in the region. International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies senior official Caroline Holt told New York Times that they are racing against the clock due to the danger that damaged buildings holds to those trapped.

Multiple nations and organizations have pledged help to Morocco. Algeria has even opened their airspace to Morocco to help aid get in for the first time since the nations severed diplomatic ties. Morocco has not officially accepted this help however which makes the help harder to get into the nation. But many Moroccans took to social media to criticize the government for not allowing more outside aid and offering more resources to help the survivors. Moroccan King Mohammed VI gave orders to the military to help aid survivors but many displaced survivors have told international reporters that most of the help is coming from private charities rather than the government.