All in on Deion

A perfect start for coach prime
Deion Sanders image from Wikimedia Commons

This season, fans of the Colorado Buffaloes have been excited for the college football season to start. This was largely because of their decision to hire NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders as their Head Coach.

Many fans of college football were skeptical of the hire for many reasons, mainly due to the inexperience Sanders had as a head coach at the college level aside from a two year stint at Jackson State. Fans were also skeptical because Sanders made it abundantly clear to Colorado’s former roster that changes would be made and many people from last year’s team would not be retained.

“I’m bringing my luggage, and it’s Louis,” Sanders said when asked about his approach to the Buffaloes roster. 

Fans were also irate that Sanders named his son, Shedeur Sanders, the starting quarterback. Coach Prime’s actions understandably rubbed Colorado fans, as well as casual fans of football, the wrong way. This reaction hasn’t shaken Sanders in the slightest, who has never avoided ruffling feathers with players, fans, or the media.

Sanders’ first game was on September 2nd and the Colorado Buffaloes faced off against the TCU Horned Frogs. The big takeaway from the game was clear to all, that Coach Prime had the team well-prepared for the first game of the season. This game was seen as a measuring stick for Colorado as they were facing off against last year’s national runner up. 

Shedeur Sanders, vindicated his father’s confidence in his position as quarterback by bringing a huge win against TCU. Sanders had 510 passing yards and had four touchdowns. While Sanders’ numbers lit up the box score, he was not alone in leading Colorado to a 45-42 win.

Wide receiver and defensive back Travis Hunter, former number 1 overall recruit, had his impact felt all over this game, as he had 119 yards and 11 catches along with a diving red zone interception. Hunter, as well as Sanders, followed Coach Prime from Jackson State when he took the job at Colorado.

Another key contributor was freshman running back Dylan Edwards. He accounted for 159 total yards and four touchdowns in his first ever college game.

The college football world was in shock over the Buffaloes first game. The question on everyone’s mind was if they could follow up the amazing week one performance with a win in week two.

Colorado was able to show the world that week one was not a fluke with another resounding win in week two against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Shedeur Sanders had another impressive week with 393 passing yards and two touchdowns.

This time however, the Colorado defense was the star of the show by holding the Nebraska offense to 14 points and forcing four turnovers. When it took a while for the Buffaloes offense to find their rhythm in the first half, the defense kept them in the game by holding the Cornhuskers scoreless until the third quarter.

Colorado will look to continue their strong start this Saturday against the Colorado State Rams at 10:00 PM. After being ranked 18th in the latest AP Poll, it will be interesting to see how long Coach Prime and the Colorado Buffaloes can keep their high level of play going.