CNU IDOL

The first ever showcase of CNU’s vocal talents

Last Wednesday, September 6, the first ever CNU Idol was held in the DSU Ballroom and it was an enormous success. A twist on American Idol, students and professors had the chance to participate in this singing competition in front of a panel of judges and audience members. With it being the first ever CNU Idol, it could easily have been a small crowd with not much publicity but this was the exact opposite. Almost every seat was filled in the DSU Ballroom and there was no shortage of excitement from two engaging, funny hosts who kept the show running to an incredible DJ who had everyone dancing by the end of the night. 

The event was sponsored by CNU’s LGBTQ+ and Allies Affinity Group and the poster stated that “attendees do not need to identify as LGBTQ+ to join, but know that this is an affirming space to celebrate joy among queer communities and allies on campus.” The hosts took turns describing the purpose of Affinity and how it helps students on campus and several of the contestants identified as LGBTQ+ and sang songs related to their identity.

The panel of judges were made up of members of the CNU community including professors, alumni, and First Lady Angie Kelly. Thirteen students performed from different majors and two professors sang as well. There truly was something for everyone to enjoy and one aspect that the judges and audience members kept commenting on was how they loved to hear and learn all these songs that they had never heard before. The competition began with Ella Greer’s powerful rendition of “Somebody to Love” by Queen and ended with Joyce Strong-Hurt’s beautiful version of “Inseparable” by Natalie Cole. Three contestants performed original songs which came as a wonderful surprise since each song was unique and fit the singer’s voice perfectly. The decision to perform an original song resulted in a huge success since all three students ended up being chosen by the judges. Kassi Williams placed third with her song “Last One to the Party” by her stage name We Are the Dirt and Libby Wheeler placed second with her beautiful, hopeful original piece called “Skipping Stone.” Mars Lawrence ended the night as a huge success as she won first place by the judges and also won the Audience Choice award. Their original song “Love” by their stage name M4R5 was arguably a crowd pleaser and all the judges agreed that it was a beautiful, touching song that highlighted her perfect tone.

Some other standout performances included “Bad Romance” sung by Professor Meyer from the Communications department and “Too Good At Goodbyes” performed by Madison Litchford. Overall, it was an extremely fun night full of undiscovered talent and served as a great form of support and awareness for people in the LGBTQ+ community. There was not a single person who wasn’t smiling and cheering by the end of the night.