Harpoon Larry’s

Staff writer shares reviews seafood restaurant
Harpoon Larry’s front entrance, from TripAdvisor

If you’re out and about and hankering for good seafood, then the right place is closer than you think. Harpoon Larry’s is located at 621 J Clyde Morris Blvd here in Newport News and offers a wide variety of seafood for you to enjoy. This seafood restaurant is one of the most popular spots in the city, a feature in the community since 1991. It boasts an impressive variety of seafood, featuring staples such as oysters, lobsters, crabs, and just about anything else you can think of. There’s menu items that you’d be surprised to see, like oysters covered in buffalo sauce and burgers with a crab cake on top.

There’s a pretty good chance that Harpoon Larry’s will be crowded when you arrive, but consider the crowd proof that the food is worth it. If you’re worried that this will affect when your food comes out, don’t, as the service is impressively fast for any restaurant, even compared to the chain ones. I was truthfully amazed.

For appetizers, I had two very good selections. The seared Ahi Tuna, an impressive display of delicious sesame seared tuna, complete with Wasabi Aioli and Slaw, which was very good if you’re an enjoyer of tuna. I also had the Calamari, which was fried perfectly and seasoned with Old Bay, truly incredible. My partner and I finished the whole batch quickly. As far as main courses go, I got a Lobster roll covered in Mayonnaise and Okra, with a side of hushpuppies. It was very good, but I think my partner hit the jackpot, having a batch of crab legs and apple slaw. These crab legs had a lot of meat, making it easy to share between us. The apple slaw was also sweet, crunchy, and creamy. Both of us were immensely satisfied with our meal. 

Overall, if you get out of the CNU bubble (which the author of this review greatly encourages you to do for whatever reason), and you’re looking for some seafood, the obvious and immediate choice should be Harpoon Larry’s!