Are CNU Parents Too Involved In Campus Life?

It seems like Facebook was created for parents who don’t know how to make their account private to embarrass their kids with bad pictures.

Do you ever wish your parents would stop posting on Facebook? It seems like Facebook was created for parents who don’t know how to make their account private to embarrass their kids with bad pictures. The CNU Parents page on Facebook was created in 2017 with one simple mission: To complain about campus issues that don’t affect them. Yes, it also serves as a forum for parents to ask questions and share advice, but the bulk of the posts on this page are parents expressing their concerns. 

I’ve often found myself begging my mom not to post on the parents page, because for some reason I find it really embarrassing. It’s the same level of opposition I give her when she suggests calling the housing department to rush my work orders. I don’t want to be that person whose mom solves all of their adult problems for them.

My extensive research (incessant hours of scrolling) showed me that rarely in these posts are parents calling for change or asking who they should talk to to get these problems resolved. It’s just regurgitated information that their kids are telling them, and they are looking to see if any other parents are just as annoyed about it as they are.  

It makes sense that parents who are paying money for tuition, housing, and meal plans are upset when things aren’t up to their standards, but I think the parents complaining about their adult kids’ issues are a bit excessive. They often complain about their kids wasting meal swipes when the to go boxes run out, the library hours, and the wifi not working. Not the most pressing issues on campus, but definitely the most popular on the parents page. 

Obviously the parents page and parental concern will never go away, but I would advise everyone to watch what you complain about to your parents, because they might go post about it on Facebook. I also beg CNU parents not to post about this on the parents page.