Dealing with college stress

Staff Writer shares how to cope with stress

Stresses plague our everyday life; especially when juggling school with our personal lives. However, something that can be difficult for many college students is learning how to cope with stress while living such busy lives. As someone who has a lot on their plate, stressing out is second nature to me, and with that comes a lot of life hacks and tips on how to cope with the stresses of college life.

• Take a nap

I know this may seem very far-fetched, but a majority of the time when people are stressed, relaxing the brain by taking a nap can be very helpful. When I am stressed out, I usually take a one hour nap to ensure I am well relaxed when I wake up. One of the biggest things I have to deal with when taking naps is telling myself that I am not lazy because I want to take one, but that it’s beneficial for my health and will help relax my stressful day.

• Going on a walk

Christopher Newport University’s campus is so beautiful year round, with its gorgeous buildings and always-green grass. Usually when I am very stressed out, I take this opportunity to go outside for a walk and look at all the gorgeous things that campus has to offer. What I enjoy doing the most is walking around the Great Lawn and seeing so many friendly faces to talk to. Sometimes getting a breath of fresh air can be important when you are stressed out.

• Reading a book

Books are just one of the many things that always relaxes my mind, especially before going to bed. When we read a book, we escape into another world and become a new person by entering into an altered state of consciousness, which can alleviate tension in the body. 

• Practicing Self Care

This is one of my absolute favorite things to do. Whether it’s putting a face mask on or taking a shower, these are just some of the many self care practices you can do in order to feel relaxed. Engaging in a self-care routine has reduced my anxiety and stresses, led to me having happier emotions, and helped me gain motivation to work on school-related things. 

• Watch your favorite comfort show

I am so glad that I decided to invest in a TV for my dorm room. Usually at night when I am very stressed out, I like to watch TV to relax my brain.Watching your favorite TV series or movie can encourage the release of dopamine, which creates a sense of euphoria. Dopamine essentially says to the brain that you are enjoying watching TV or this movie so it encourages a feeling of relaxation.

I hope that these were some helpful tips in helping to decrease stress in your everyday life. Sometimes, all we need is a break from all the difficulties within our school and personal life, and investing in some important coping mechanisms for stress will ultimately help you in the long run.