Keeping campus green and clean

Trash can’s and can’ts
green to-go box return station, photo by Evelyn Davidson

The green to-go boxes at CNU have definitely stirred up some emotions from students. Some love the idea, and some aren’t so fond of it. However, that is no excuse to be throwing the green boxes away.

A couple of months back, as I was throwing away my trash, my REAL trash, I saw a pile of green to-go boxes in the trash room in the trash bag. Come on now. I really don’t see why it’s so hard for people to return them. We’re all adults. We all attend the dining hall at LEAST once a week. I get that returning them isn’t always the most convenient, but I’d rather those boxes sit in someone’s dorm a few extra days than see them being thrown away because they were too lazy to return it. Like it really isn’t that hard. Not to mention, there are drop-off locations for boxes outside of Regatta’s so that people don’t even have to walk inside.

I am definitely guilty of letting my box sit in my room and collect dust because I didn’t have time to go back to my dorm to grab it and take it with me between classes. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll never get to it. It definitely isn’t an excuse to just conveniently throw it away. These boxes were sent here to create less trash. The people who throw them away are doing the exact opposite of that.

Another issue I have encountered at CNU is the trashing and vandalism of the elevators. There’s no reason a college student should be smearing orange peels all over the elevator doors and leaving them there for the custodians to pick up. Are we five years old? Or perhaps leaving juice cartons on the ground, or shoving trash into the elevator ceilings. I literally cannot describe how annoyed I get when people do this. If you want to destroy stuff for the fun of it, go to a dang rage room. College residence halls aren’t the place for your childish acts.

I think that CNU students can definitely do better. The staff and workers here work very hard for our benefit and for people to treat them like they don’t care, truly makes me worry for the future of our Mother Earth and those around us.