Car drives off VA Beach pier

A call for suicide awareness
VA Beach fishing pier from Flickr

Content Warning: The following article discusses suicide, if you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts call the 988 Suicide Crisis Hotline and other mental health resources.

On Jan. 27, a car drove off of the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier and into the ocean, taking one person’s life. The tragic event and what has followed have captured the attention of the entire region and sparked a greater conversation about mental health in the area.

Around 7:00 AM on Jan. 27, two teenagers spotted a red Nissan Kicks driving on the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier. The video showed the car drive off the edge of the pier and crash into the water below. Members of the Virginia Beach Police Department arrived on the scene minutes later and found the car had sunk into the ocean. The pier was closed as police attempted to figure out how to recover the car from the water. Divers from Portsmouth-based Crofton Industries were called in to help as well as the Chesapeake Fire Department. It took until Feb. 2nd for the car to be recovered due to unstable weather and waters. An unidentified man was found deceased in the car and the investigation remains ongoing. 

The occupant of the vehicle remains unidentified to the public though VBPD did release a statement saying the person was a missing Virginia Beach man and that it is believed to be a suicide, sparking a conversation about mental health in the region.

A small memorial was set up near the pier with a message of sympathy taped to a railing. On Feb. 2, a candlelight vigil was held hours after the car was recovered. The vigil was organized by a Virginia Beach man who told Channel 3 WTKR he was disturbed by some of the hateful rhetoric people online said of the incident and “…wanted to create something that let others know, as well as the family, that there are others that care.” As well as encourage others to discuss mental health. According to the CDC, suicide rates increased approximately 36% between 2000–2021, some organizations are calling it an epidemic in the US.

At the time of printing, VBPD is continuing the investigation into the incident. The Virginia Beach Fishing Pier will be closed due to the incident as well as damage done due to the car driving on it.

As previously stated, numerous resources are available for receiving help if you or a loved one is having suicidal thoughts. These include the 988 Crisis Line, Findtreatment.gov, NAMI Hotline, The Trevor Project, The CHAS Foundation, and others.