Top books to read this year

Editor shares her favorite picks
  • Fourth Wing

This 2023 New Adult novel written by Rebecca Yarros blew up on TikTok last year. So much so that it was sold out in almost every book store. It’s the first book in the Empyrean series and the second book, Iron Flame, came out this year. It follows the story of a high-ranking general’s daughter, Violet Sorrengail, who’s ordered to go through the dangerous process of becoming a dragon rider. During the process she must go through many trials and tribulations, meeting many friends and enemies along the way. It’s great for fans who enjoyed the Game of Thrones series.

• The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

This 2017 novel written by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a historical fiction novel. It tells the story of Hollywood movie icon, Evelyn Hugo, as she details the truth about her scandalous life. Unknown magazine reporter, Monique Grant, is shocked when Evelyn Hugo picks her to tell the story of her life. This novel leaves fans shocked with a surprising plot twist at the end. It’s great for fans of old Hollywood or Taylor Swift’s song “The Lucky One.” 

• Throne of Glass

This 2012 high fantasy novel written by Sarah J. Maas is very popular on BookTok. It follows the story of 18 year old assassin, Celaena Sardothian. She’s offered the opportunity to fight for her freedom by becoming the King’s Royal Assassin. However, strange deaths began occurring, leaving Celaena to investigate the secrets lurking in the castle. Filled with mystery and romance, this is the first book in a 8 novel series.

• These Violent Delights

This 2020 young adult historical fantasy novel written by Chloe Gong is a retelling of the classic Shakespearean play, Romeo and Juliet, set in Shanghai, in 1926. Shanghai is caught in the middle of a blood feud between two gangs. Heir to the Scarlet Gang, Juliette Cai and the heir of the White Flowers, Roma Montagov, must discover the source of gruesome murders despite their opposing families and secret forbidden romance. Perfect for fans of the star-crossed lovers trope, this novel is the first of a duology.