Claire’s Corner

Your go-to advice column for college

“I’m trying to get into skincare. What are some basic products you recommend?”

As someone who is busy from dawn to dusk, I rarely have time for an extensive skincare routine. Not to mention, there are so many skincare products on the market that are crazily expensive. So what exactly should you buy? Here’s a list of basic skincare items in the order that you should apply them to keep your skin feeling fresh and glowy. 

The first thing you should use in your skincare routine is a cleanser. The Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser is one of my favorite products and I cannot recommend it enough. It’s very lightweight and fluffy, and doesn’t strip the skin of natural oils. Your skin will feel extremely clean as it removes dirt, impurities and makeup. It’s only 6 to 10 dollars depending on where you purchase it.

The next step in your routine is a moisturizer. Bubble is easily one of my favorite affordable skincare brands and I love the Bubble Cloud Surf Moisturizer because it moisturizes your skin without clogging your pores. They also have three different moisturizers in their collection for every skin type. This specific moisturizer can range anywhere from 15 to 18 dollars. 

One of my biggest skincare tips for everyone out there is that you MUST wear sunscreen, no matter what the weather looks like outside. My favorite sunscreen that I’ve used is the Hero travel sized sunscreen. This sunscreen is only about 6 dollars at Target and it’s perfect for beginners. It’s made from anti-acne ingredients so you’ll be sure to not break out with it.

Something that I started doing that has been very beneficial for my skin was purchasing an ice face roller off of Amazon. I fill mine with water and put it in the freezer overnight and then apply it to my face in the morning. It really helps my skin wake up and look less exhausted. 

I highly recommend using these products as a baseline for your skincare. Once your skin has grown accustomed to these, you can experiment with other products (just make sure you use discretion with how many new products you are putting on your face). I hope that this was helpful and happy skincare hunting!

(Google Form) If you have questions and would like some advice, please scan the QR Code and complete the google form below for a chance to be featured in the next issue of the Captain’s Log. 

*Disclaimer: Inappropriate questions submitted through the form will not be used in the Captain’s Log*