On a food budget?

Best places to eat for college students
Taco Bell, from Unsplash

Getting sick of dining hall food? Here’s some great, quick, places to eat around Christopher Newport University that won’t break the bank. 

Waffle House

This diner is a great cheap place for college students on a budget. The main part of the menu is classic southern breakfast food, such as waffles, bacon, eggs, hash browns, etc… However, you can get lunch or dinner food as well. The service is quick and the food is always hot. What’s even better is that there’s a least three locations within five miles from campus, so if one is busy, you can quickly go to another location. The closest location is around an eight minute drive from campus. It’s also open 24 hours and has the option to order food to-go. 

Mod Pizza

This build-your-own pizza place is perfect for all pizza lovers. There’s a large selection of toppings and the pizza is cooked fresh. There’s also a wide variety of pizza sizes so it’s perfect if you’re either feeling famished or just need a quick snack. They also have a gluten free option for those with a gluten allergy. Pizza is not the only thing you can get there, they also have delicious cheesy garlic bread, salads, and No Name Cakes. The closest one is on Jefferson Avenue, close to the Patrick Henry Mall, and is around a 10 minute drive from campus. It closes at 10 pm.

Matt’s Smackin’ Macs

Matt’s Smacking Macs is another great inexpensive option. It’s unique to Newport News and they mainly serve mac-n-cheese with a variety of topping options. You can also get buttered noodles and sweet treats, including a lemon loaf, chocolate chip cookie, and chocolate banana bread. The service is quick and the food is fresh. They even give a 10% discount to CNU students if they show their student IDs. It’s about an 11 minute drive from campus and they close at 8pm. 

Taco Bell

Taco Bell is a classic cheap fast-food restaurant. The menu consists of Mexican inspired foods, such as tacos, burritos and enchiladas. Sometimes they’re paired with a KFC, which sells southern style fried chicken. You can order multiple things for less than $10. There’s also multiple locations within five miles of campus, the closest being a seven minute drive. It’s a perfect quick and easy place to grab food. Depending on the location, they close around 12-2 am.