Springin’ into Spring

Why students are looking forward to warmer weather
Christopher Newport Hall and the Christmas tree on The Great Lawn, photo by Evelyn Davidson

As we approach the lovely month of March, the weather is slowly starting to become warmer, and more people are active on The Great Lawn. While spring has just a little while left to go, many people are excited for the warmer weather to come our way.

“Baseball season starts in the spring, so I’m excited to take out my Braves jersey again!” said sophomore Ethan Jones. “But I also love being able to go for walks around campus and being able to spend time outside. Fresh air is a good stress reliever and it’s more enticing when it’s warmer.” 

However, Jones isn’t the only one who wants to spend time outdoors. Freshman Allison Walpert also shared why she’s looking forward to the warmer weather.

“I am very excited for the warmer weather. I love the warmth and sunshine. When it’s warm outside, I enjoy spending time outside with friends and just taking walks,” she said.

While everyone is very excited for spring to start, many students also had exciting activities that they did during the winter. Sophomore TJ Smith explained his favorite things to do during wintertime on campus. 

“My favorite winter activities are things that can be indoors, whether that’s watching football or a movie in my dorm, hanging out with friends, or going to campus events,” said Smith. 

“I love walking into the residence hall and feeling the blast of heat coming from the fireplaces. It feels warm, cozy, and peaceful,”said Jones, who appreciates both the warm and the cold weather. 

Even though these were great memories and experiences from the winter, many people aren’t a fan of the cold. 

“I hated the fact that I couldn’t go outside and take walks like I usually do because it’s too cold,” said Sophomore David Okonkwo. 

Along with Okonkwo, sophomore Mariam Usman also didn’t enjoy the winter weather. 

“It didn’t even snow, that’s the most depressing thing about this winter,” said Usman. Overall, everyone is excited to see the warm spring weather and ditch the cold. Here’s to a wonderful spring, Captains!