The SGA elections begin

Know the candidates before voting
SGA Presidential candidate McKenzie Hurley

On Monday, March 18th, Christopher Newport University’s Student Government Association officially began their E-board elections online. Just a few hours before, candidates were allowed to announce their candidacy over social media as well as across campus through buttons, stickers, and pamphlets. Just the next day, an informational brochure listing all of the candidates for each position was released that provided a comprehensive overview of each of the potential candidates for the available positions.

The most competitive race in this election is the race for SGA President, with three potential candidates vying for the position: Erin Burrier, Mary “McKenzie” Hurley,  and Stephany Lindo. Also in competition is the position of Vice President of Marketing, between Michael Golden and Aliyona Tekleberhan. The other races are more like formal handovers, with only one candidate each running for the positions of Executive Vice President (Emily McKenna), Vice President of Finance (Gage Gates), and Vice President of Membership Development (Patrick Brantley).

As part of this process, each candidate delivered a speech at this week’s meeting of SGA. Everyone spoke with passion, vision, and honesty which was well appreciated among members of the audience. Particular credit was given to those running unopposed for their position, as they gave nothing less than their best in both their speaking ability and the actual content of their speeches. Each Presidential Candidate gave speeches that were worth extra attention, however, and these candidates have provided The Captain’s Log with selections for those who missed their original delivery.

Erin Burrier said, “Though you may not know it, YOU inspired me to run… I have heard your requests for direct and transparent communication with the delegation… Your voice deserves to be heard, as SGA President, I look forward to collaborating with other passionate individuals to amplify your voice and advocate for the change you want. Burrier is campaigning on a platform of building a stronger relationship between SGA and the Student Body.

McKenzie Hurley said, “In regard to what I want to see out of SGA, it all comes out of my passion for the ‘We’ and not ‘Me’…I would like to establish regularly themed meetings or open forums, inviting upper administration, faculty, and more to create constructive conversations about campus. As SGA we have already seen the power of this in the past and now is the time to continue… I believe this is what SGA is about, after all, we do listen, care, and serve.” Hurley is running on a platform of expanding SGA’s capacity to represent student interests.

Stephanie Lindy, “I am not perfect and I don’t have all the answers. But what I can offer to you is my passion, commitment, and excitement. Voting for me not only means choosing a president but also a friend and teammate. Together we can continue to make CNU not only a place where we learn but a place where we dream and achieve. A place where simply being part of it is a victory in itself.” Lindy is running on a platform informed by her personal experience, and is committed to making SGA a place where all students are welcomed and encouraged to participate.

To find further information on the candidates, as well as the election’s ballot use the links provided in an email from the Office of Orientation and Student Involvement titled “VOTING Now Open!”A standalone Ballot can also be found on The Compass. The SGA Instagram page also contains useful information, including the uncut speeches of each candidate, which can be found @cnu_sga. Voting closes on Fri. Mar. 22 at 3:00 PM.

SGA Presidential candidate Stephany Lindo
SGA Presidential candidate Erin Burrier