Why study abroad:

“Being an international student has opened me up to a whole new world.”
Esedebe while studying abroad in Lyon, courtesy of Marie Esedebe

Christopher Newport University students often pursue semesters abroad through partner programs and the CNU study abroad office, and Junior Marie Esedebe is one of them. Esedebe is traveling abroad in Lyon, France, and is studying French through courses at Universite Catholiqué de Lyon.

During a trip to France over the summer, Esedebe received multiple opportunities to practice French, which influenced her to gear her study abroad experience toward evolving her French skills and testing her abilities. She expressed her lack of reservations in being away from CNU for a semester, due to receiving support from her campus community that also reaffirmed she would be coming home to people who would care for her in the remaining semesters.

In terms of making connections abroad, Esedebe shared how she has expanded her network with experiences that have allowed her to practice speaking French. 

“I live with a French woman who speaks very little English, so she keeps me practicing all the time just from daily conversations and it has helped me learn a lot about life in France and her experiences working with refugees,” she said. 

Esedebe also enjoys figuring out her way around regular activities in France, such as finding shops that sell hair supplies. 

“There is a section of Lyon that is known for selling goods and I was met with such warmth and familiarity throughout that whole experience. I then got my hair braided by a woman I connected to on Tik Tok. She only spoke French which allowed me to practice speaking with someone my age,” she said. 

Esedebe also explained how now that she’s studied abroad, she relates to the significance behind students coming to CNU from other countries. 

“Being an international student has opened me up to a whole new world,” she said.

She added that she didn’t realize just how many people study abroad, or how many French and other international students speak more English than she thought. 

According to the CNU Study Abroad office, 27% of CNU students study abroad before they graduate. This number could be small due to a number of hesitations from students, such as cost and cross-cultural preparedness. Esedebe shared her hope to be a part of increased efforts in helping more black students feel comfortable going abroad. She is happy to talk about her experiences when she returns from Lyon.

Esedebe explained how traveling abroad is much more cost-effective than it would be if she was at CNU, and she was able to explore Prague, Vienna and Budapest during her winter break. “Studying abroad has expanded my worldview tremendously. I also discovered that I learn so well in that way, if I read about a piece of history and am able to visit the sites, I can recall what I’m taught so much easier!” she said.