McKenzie Hurley elected as SGA’s new president

A time of trust and openness
Photo of Hurley provided by Hurley

The Student Government Association (SGA) elections closed last Friday at 3:00 and saw rising Senior McKenzie Hurley elected the SGA President for the 2024-2025 school year. 

“I was very, very excited… I was so thankful for the opportunity to even run in the first place” said Hurley.

As the newly elected president, Hurley has identified multiple goals she would like to pursue next year. 

“I really want to develop that connection with the student body,” she said.

Hurley also identified hearing more student input as another major goal of hers. She wants to host more public forums for students to be able to voice their concerns. 

“[we want to] set dates and then people come in, and be able to talk about things like academic concerns, campus safety concerns, anything of that nature,” she said.

Hurley stressed that clear communication was a main goal of hers with the students, who she wants to feel involved with decision-making. 

“My top priority is just to make sure that the delegation and the rest of leadership is heard, but also that the student body has their input too,” Hurley said. “I don’t want to do something without having input from other people. I just feel like that’s not the right thing to do.”

Hurley also communicated what an ideal SGA would look like to her. “An ideal SGA world for me would be for students to have trust and faith in us and be able to come to us with anything,” she said.

With Hurley as president, the rest of the semester will include meetings with her newly elected E-board for SGA, which includes Executive Vice President Emily McKenna, VP of Finance William “Gage” Gates, VP of Marketing Aliyona Tekleberhan, and VP of Membership Development Patrick Brantley.

Hurley also expressed an interest in adding more student representatives for certain areas of the school. She explained that other student governments might have student representatives of the “freshman body” or “a representative of the College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences,” and she would like to look at potentially replicating that at CNU.

Hurley wants the students to know that they can come up to her and talk to her about anything SGA-related. 

“I always want literally anyone to come up and talk to me about any questions, concerns, anything,” she said. “​​I want to be able to have a relationship with people and talk to them and be open about what SGA is doing”