Securing the win

Club frisbee team wins Fishbowl Tournament against JMU
Photo of the Men’s Club Frisbee roster courtesy of Men’s Club Frisbee.

Last weekend was a wonderful weekend for men’s club frisbee as they took home a win against James Madison University in the Fishbowl Frisbee Tournament. The final score of the tournament ended up being 10-8, marking an exciting point in the club’s experience.

Many of the members were extremely pleased with the results and were excited to continue playing for CNU. “I was very pleased. I am a senior now and the last time our school won a tournament was before I was enrolled so it’s nice to get that before I graduate” said member Grant Anderson. 

Another member, Esteban Olivares, explained that, “It felt awesome to win our tournament. Going undefeated is an extremely hard feat but we managed to pull through and take the crown.” 

Not only was the team pleased with the win, they also learned a lot of things along the way. 

“I felt like we ran our systems and plays really cleanly. It allowed us to stay consistent and throw other teams off balance. The energy from our sideline was also electric and it’s always nice to see everyone having fun even if they’re not on the field for the point,” said Anderson. 

The team’s strategies were top notch as well as making sure to maintain a positive attitude throughout the game. 

“I think we did a really good job keeping the energy up. Whenever we ever made a mistake, we were able to reevaluate and not get let down” said member Nalin Theodore. 

“When we are just having fun and doing dumb things, it keeps our spirits up and we end up always playing better,” said Olivares.

Not only was this win a wonderful memory for the team, they shared other highlights from the semester that made their year. 

“The highlights that bring me the most joy aren’t the ones where we’re on the field. Just the little goofy moments you get from driving to tournaments together, going out to eat, and doing things away from the competition because that’s where I feel I’ve built lifelong friendships. It was also cool to win a live-streamed game at the tournament in North Carolina because a lot of our alumni watched it, which is pretty cool,” said Anderson.

One of the biggest things that they all enjoy about playing for the team is the bonds that come with it. “When I play with my guys in the tournament, I value my team the most. They are like brothers to me and brothers have to fight and stick together. I think that is very important for teams in order to function,” said Theodore.  

The men’s club frisbee team has accomplished so much this year and we cannot wait to see how many more accomplishments they can reach in the coming months.