‘Sing for Hope’ Pianos

If you are walking around Newport News and happen to see a beautiful painted piano, that’s not a coincidence. Over the past two months, local artists have been painting and repurposing ten forgotten pianos that were eventually transformed into beautiful instruments for all of the public to use. The pianos are part of a worldwide initiative called Sing For Hope that places personally designed pianos all around the globe for anyone to enjoy and play. CNU, The Ferguson Center for the Arts, and The Torggler all partnered to manage this program for Newport News.

They housed the pianos, chose the artists, and provided studio space in The Torggler. On March 28, the kickoff for the distribution of pianos was held in the Diamonstein Lobby and featured a performance on one of the pianos by award-winning pianist Drew Peterson. 

They are now located all over the city and some locations include the Mariners’ Museum, Victory Landing Park, Patrick Henry Mall, City Hall Plaza, City Center Gazebo, and even one right on campus at the CNU Fountain Plaza. On April 20, they will return to the Ferguson Center lobby for a concert featuring Broadway sensation Erika Henningson with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra. After that, they will return to their new permanent homes.