Unique hot dog combos:

Branch out in time for summer
Hot Dog with pickles, onion, mustard and ketchup from Papau George’s Hot Dogs, taken by Chloe Grell

Hot dogs are great and they can be the perfect party food to close out a great semester. But do you want to spice it up a bit and move past traditional gimmicks like chili dogs, or find new ways to enjoy favorite condiments? Well, consider these eight combos to give your hot dogs a kick!

1. Jalapenos + Mustard

Consider it! The taste of mustard mixed with the spicy kick of jalapenos is a shockingly good combo. This works with both hot and normal mustard and the mix of flavors equals the perfect hot dog.

1. Hawaiian Hot Dog

If you love pineapple on pizza, this might be a combo for you. If you don’t, go away. This combo involves sliced pineapple and ham on top of a hot dog to give you the same sweet and savory rush pineapple on pizza may give you

1. Texas Tommy

Ironically a Pennsylvania born idea, you slice a hot dog lengthwise, place cheese within the slit and then wrap it in bacon before putting it on a delicious warm bun. Some choose to use cheese wiz to make it easier and less messy to insert the cheese but where’s the fun in that? Hot dogs were made to be messy.

1. Polish Boy

This Cleveland based delicacy is a gorgeous kielbasa sausage placed in between a bun and slathered in french fries, barbecue sauce and coleslaw. This life changing hot dog will make you want to actually go to Cleveland….okay that was a joke but it’s still good!

1. Seattle Dog

Seattle has given us a lot of great things; grunge, Frasier and now this – a hot dog topped with cream cheese, onions and served in a perfect, pretzel bun. All toppings may be welcome but it’s just as good as it is. Consider getting your hands on another one the Emerald City’s best export

1. Sloppy Joe dog

Another great food to have at the bbq. Cover your dog in a sloppy joe mix, top it off with some corn chips and pickles and voila! A sloppy joe meal in the form of a hot dog!

1. Pickle dogs

Wanna cut down on carbs? Ditch the bun and cut open a large pickle for your dog to be inserted into and put your toppings right on. To soften the pickle juice taste, add cream cheese to the inside of the pickles before inserting the dog

1. Any weird mustards

The Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin, says that over 5,500 different types of mustard exist. So maybe give your hot dog some wasabi mustard, “cherry berry” mustard, or ghost pepper mustard.