Best games to play in class

Keep your mind busy while cramming for finals
Chloe Grell beats 2048, taken by Chloe Grell

With the end of the semester upon us, it can be challenging to stay focused, especially in hour and fifteen-minute classes. You shouldn’t be playing games in class and instead be listening and taking detailed notes, however if you must, (I am not recommending it) here are my top favorite games for when you need to focus on the lecture while not focusing too much.

2048

2048 is a great game to play while still paying attention, because it offers little to know concentration. It is centered around numbered tiles on a grid and the object of the game is to add the smaller numbers up until they equal a 2048 tile. This game will keep your hands busy so that you can focus more on what your professor is talking about. Another benefit to this game is that all it requires is moving two of your fingers, meaning it’s less noticeable that you are playing a game. See if you can find the trick to getting the high numbers! 

New York Times Wordle

The daily wordle is another spectacular game to play in class because once again it is easy to play without bringing attention to yourself. It’s a word game where players have six attempts to guess a five-letter word. The game will give you feedback as you try to guess the word by using collared tiles to indicate when letters match. It is also a great way to get your mind working and to expand your vocabulary. So technically, you will still be learning something while you’re in class.

New York Times Connections

Also produced by the NYT, Connections is a category-matching game. You’re given 16 words total, and have to group four words into four different categories based on what they have in common, or the “connection” between them. This game is a perfect brain-teaser to keep you occupied in class and make the time go by faster. 

While you’re on the NYT website, you might as well go ahead and play “Strands” and the Mini crossword puzzle as well – many of my friends play all four of these word games in different orders and we like to talk about which way is the best. 

Papa’s Freezeria 

Lastly, if you want to revert to your childhood games, another great game to play in class is Papa’s Freezeria. For this game, the player gets to imagine they work at a milkshake shop. As the employee, you simply make the customer’s orders and get ranked for your effectiveness. I mean, who doesn’t want to make milkshakes while they are in class? This game also involves more subtle moments making it hard to detect you are playing, unless, however, the teacher is standing behind you. All of the “Papa’s” games are still on Cool Math, so you can test out how well you make hot dogs or cupcakes as well.