President Kelly’s inaugural Freshman Desserts event

A Tasty Tradition
President Kelly and Mrs. Kelly greet students in their home, photo by Savannah Dunn/ The Captain’s Log

Freshman Desserts serves as a networking opportunity for freshmen and transfer students where they can meet faculty and staff as well as build relationships within the Christopher Newport University community. Every fall freshmen can look forward to attending this beloved CNU tradition at 3 Oaks, home of the university president and first lady. 

This year’s event was especially momentous, as it was The Kelly’s first of many dessert events with the Captains. President and Mrs. Kelly waited at the door to greet their guests as the shuttles dropped them off. 

“I’m looking forward to talking to President Kelly one on one and his wife, and learning a bit more about his background in the Coast Guard,” said freshman Emily Johnson.

Before the introductions and speeches began, students were able to relax in the backyard of 3 Oaks, enjoy the view and speak with faculty and staff. 

“I am looking forward to eating a lot of cake and taking pictures. Also talking to President Kelly to get to know him,” said another freshman Genevieve Girouard.

Freshman Treyvon Manning explained that he was, “Just excited for hearing what the faculty have to say, and maybe getting to know them a little bit more. And of course the sweets that we are going to be having.”

It was not just the freshman enjoying the festivities, but transfer students too. 

“I’m most looking forward to making new friends,”  said transfer student, Victoria Templeton. “I am definitely looking forward to talking more to President Kelly and seeing what he has to say about CNU because he definitely seems excited about it.”

A few minutes after all the guests had arrived, Kelly gave his welcome speech before introducing the faculty and staff. 

“Part of the rules of engaging is you have to engage with three new people,” said Kelly, explaining that the event was for students to engage with faculty and staff. 

“If you don’t meet three new people, you have to give the desserts back,” he joked.

Before inviting everyone in for desserts, Kelly reminded everyone to be mindful of rooms with closed doors and asked that they not enter those spaces. 

“We don’t need anyone taking a picture from our bathtub or shower,” Kelly said, referencing shenanigans from last year’s event. “That would not be a good thing to have on YikYak tomorrow.”

Once Kelly concluded his speech, students and faculty made their way into the dining room, lining up to fill their plates with delicious desserts. As always, the peanut butter pie was a crowd favorite. 

The rest of the night was filled with conversation and laughter as everyone relaxed and connected. 

“It has been an amazing evening, the desserts have been just delicious, and the students have been a pleasure to meet,” said Mrs. Kelly.

“It’s really been inspiring to get to meet the freshman, learn where they are from, see a little bit of the fear and trepidation in their eyes, but also, at the end of the night, when they walk back out the door, see the confidence that they gain from meeting some of the faculty and staff,” Kelly told The Captain’s Log. “Getting to meet Mrs. Kelly and myself, but really just getting to meet their classmates, it’s been a lot of fun.”

Kelly closed out the event by thanking everyone for coming, thanking the staff who worked the event, and as always, he yelled, “Go Captains!”