International News Update: Canada Wildfires

The Canada wildfires are bringing smoke back into the North-east region of the United States as of this week

The Canada wildfires are bringing smoke back into the North-east region of the United States as of this week. So far, 45.7 million acres in Canada have burned this year, with a total of 6,500 fires, according to the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Center.

The New York Times reported that as of 11am on Oct. 2, air quality was moderate in cities such as Buffalo, Detroit, and Philadelphia. 

According to Forbes, New York City Mayor Eric Adams warned residents on Sunday, Oct. 1, for people to “Listen to their bodies, especially if they have any preexisting health conditions and take any necessary precautions to ensure they stay safe.” The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported worsening air quality conditions on Oct. 2, especially  in the Northeast and Midwest, with Detroit reaching an “unhealthy” air quality. 

According to ABC news, compared to the air quality from the fires this summer, in which New York City had the worst air quality in the world, (reportedly 484 on the Air Quality Index), this week’s AQI will be lower than 60. 

The New York Times said, “Anything over 100 is considered known to cause adverse health effects, but officials said that lower levels could still affect people who are sensitive to air pollution.”