Loki returns for season 2

The god of mischief is back and better (or badder) than ever

The second season of Loki debuted on Disney+ on October 5, 2023 and will run for six episodes until November 9, as part of Phase Five of the MCU. The first half of the season is out, with mostly positive reviews from critics. Tom Hiddleston, Jonathan Majors (as Kang), Owen Wilson (as Mobius), Gugu Mbatha-Raw (as Ravonna Renslayer), Wunmi Mosaku (as Hunter B-15), Eugene Cordero (as Casey AKA Hunter K-5E) and Sophia Di Martino (as Sylvie) all return in season 2. Newcomers include Rafael Casal as Hunter X-05/Brad Wolfe and Ke Huy Quan, who gave a standout performance in the first episode according to many fans online. This should come as no surprise since he recently won an Academy Award for his performance in Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. 

Loki Season 2 picks up in the aftermath of the shocking season finale when Loki finds himself in a battle for the soul of the Time Variance Authority. Loki navigates the Multiverse in search of Sylvie, Judge Renslayer, Miss Minutes, and the truth of what it means to possess “free will and glorious purpose”.

Jonathan Majors was a standout in season 1 and on his way to stardom within the MCU after Quantumania. His character is slated to be a central one for the next two Avengers movies, The Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars. However, his MCU future has been questioned since March, when he was booked on assault and harassment charges following an alleged altercation with his ex-girlfriend in New York. 

Not much has been said about the allegations, but CBR reports that season 2 director Kasra Farahani spoke about the allegations, crediting Majors for the ideas he brought to filming, saying that, “It was a surprise for sure. But I don’t know anything about it, other than to say that we had, honestly, such a great experience on the set.”

Director Kate Herron did not return for season 2, and after working on the first season for years, the director said that, “having someone new and with fresh eyes” will benefit season 2, ET reports. Disney confirmed that MCU veteran Dan Deleeuw would be one of the directors of Loki Season 2. Deleeuw worked as a production VFX supervisor on Captain America: Winter Soldier, Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, Endgame, and Loki Season 1. Season 2 directors also include Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead, and Kasra Farahani. 

Season 2 has picked up increasing favor with critics as the series boasts an 87% critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes to go with its 89% audience score. The Season 2 premiere smashed viewership records and Marvel president Kevin Feige has promised that the finale won’t end on a cliffhanger.