Update on stolen LGBTQ+ signs

President Kelly announces investigation has closed

In the latest CNUpdate email sent out to the entire campus, Christopher Newport University President William Kelly gave an update on the investigation of the missing Safe Zone posters and other LGBTQ+-related signs. In September, faculty members reported theft of LGBTQ+ signage, such as flyers and stickers containing the pride flag and other LGBTQ+ symbols that were hung up on the outside of their offices. Safe Zone placards, which faculty received upon completing LGBTQ+ awareness and ally training, were also stolen.  In the update, Kelly said that the investigation has concluded, however, “The perpetrator(s) have not been identified.” Although the investigation is no longer active, it could open back up if new information is received. “As dismaying as this incident is, it reminds us of our obligation to work each and every day to build a campus culture that embraces the full spectrum of human attributes, perspectives, and disciplines,” Kelly said. If you have any information in regard to this case, contact CNU PD at 757-594-777.