Overview of the movie Priscilla

Priscilla premiered at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on September 4, 2023. It was released in the United States by A24 in limited theaters on October 27, 2023, before expanding wide on November 3. The movie received a 7 minute standing ovation at the film festival. The actors were granted a SAG-AFTRA waiver to promote the film amid the strike.

Priscilla Presely herself has been openly supportive and involved throughout the entire process. The film is based on her 1985 biography, “Elvis and Me”. Priscilla serves as an executive producer on the film, which has caused controversy due to its portrayal of Elvis. The film is not sanctioned by the official Presley estate. 

Lisa Marie, daughter of Pricilla and Elvis, died in January 2023 before seeing the completed “Priscilla.” According to Variety, she had expressed concerns about how her father Elvis was captured in the initial draft of the script, with the film being centered around topics of grooming and manipulation. 

The A24-distributed biopic is written and directed by Sofia Coppola, with Cailee Spaeny playing Pricilla Presley and Jacob Elordi playing Elvis Presley. Many fans online have opinions about Elordi’s version of Elvis versus Austin Butler’s version in the 2022 film, Elvis. Elordi has publicly praised Butler’s portrayal of Elvis several times, telling GQ Magazine that Butler “did such a fine job of portraying this man”. 

Pricilla has done well with audiences, with a 63% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes, and general praise of Jacob Elordi and Cailer Spaeny’s performances.