The cast of 9 to 5 will “Shine like the Sun”

It’s enough to drive you crazy!
L to R: Doralee, Mr. Hart, Judy and Violet, played by Kimberlie Pagan, Jimmy Grimes, Mia Kennedy and Hannah Cecil, singing “Shine like the Sun” from 9 to 5, photo by Amanda Eacho

Do you love Dolly Parton? Office drama? Girl power? Then you’ll love 9 to 5! This show is spunky and heartfelt from start to finish. Opening night was a success for the cast and crew, with special guest CNU President Bill Kelly giving a five star performance as Mr. Tinsbury in the second act, which the audience went absolutely crazy over. 

With singing, dancing, drama, and comedy, 9 to 5 has something for everybody. Opening with Dolly Parton’s iconic 80s hit “9 to 5”, the musical tells the story of three women who plan to turn the tables on their sexist and egotistical boss by coming up with a plan to keep him occupied while they reform their office. It’s based on the 1980 film of the same name, with music and lyrics by Dolly Parton herself. 

The entire cast gives such a fun and unforgettable performance. Mia Kennedy as Judy, Hannah Cecil as Violet, and Kimberlie Pagán as Doralee are the fantastic leads of this show and they absolutely killed it. Their banter on stage is hilarious to watch, their vocal performances along with the rest of the cast are absolutely incredible and the dance breaks throughout the show are impressive. 

The show also features Jimmy Grimes as egotistical boss Franklin Hart and Katie O’Shields as loyal administrative assistant Roz. It was so much fun watching them interact onstage and hearing the audience react to their hilarious dialogue, as well as their amazing vocal performances. 

Everyone in the audience was dancing, laughing, and cheering in their seats throughout the entire performance. 9 to 5 is one of those shows that everyone can enjoy, whether you’re a theater fan or not. It’s hard to not have fun while listening to Dolly Parton. It’s also hard not to be inspired by three strong women fighting back against misogynistic and abusive men who have hurt them. The audience was cheering them on the entire time. 

So gather your friends and go see 9 to 5 Feb. 23-24 at 7:30 pm and Feb. 25 at 2 pm. Student tickets are free and the show is right here on campus in the Peebles Theater. Tickets can be found at bit.ly/2324SEASON or picked up in the ticket office in the Ferguson Center between 11-3 pm. You don’t want to miss it!