Title IX committee update

A final report to President Kelly and his cabinet
Great Lawn taken by Savannah Dunn

The Title IX Next Steps committee was formed to “follow up on the thoughtful and thorough work of the Title IX Review Committee,” an email from the committee said Friday. After reviewing the assessment made by the Title IX Review Committee, the Next Steps Committee spent time working out an action plan for the Title IX office at CNU. 

The email said, “We organized ourselves into working groups to intentionally explore themes identified in the Review Committee’s initial report.” The working groups worked on the following:

Reviewed how the office was organized and best practices for staffing needs to better serve our students, faculty, and staff while meeting our federal compliance responsibilities. 

Researched peer and aspirant institutions to determine best practices for creating more on-campus advocacy resources, and recommended changes to current processes to better support the campus community.

Researched the RA role, conducted focus groups, and compared responsibilities related to Title IX with comparable institutions to clarify reporting obligations. 

Listened, researched, and consulted to create the most effective strategies to meet the mandated training requirements while increasing transparency and clarity around the purposes of the Title IX Office and its role on campus.

Continued to consult with the Title IX Coordinator about strategies, resources, and outreach efforts to support the process of restoring trust in the Office.

Explored avenues and options for the resolution of non-Title IX complaints with intersecting themes that had been previously managed by the office 

After three months of reviewing these focuses, the committee sent a summarized report of recommendations to President Kelly who will then share with his cabinet, legal counsel, and the interim Title IX coordinator before announcing the changes. 

The Next Steps Committee said, “Our goal for Christopher Newport is no different than it was at the start: we must embrace a culture that emphasizes the dignity and worth of everyone.”