Code blue

The student organization behind varsity athletics
Code+blue

The NCAA requires all Division three schools to have a Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SACC). The organization is composed of representatives from CNU varsity sports teams. The Committee serves as a way for athletes to be involved on campus and advocate for their needs in terms of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), as well as mental health. 

I believe that athletes utilize SAAC to work on projects they are passionate about such as serving the community, social media marketing, mental health, or diversity & inclusion,” says Gabbi San Diego.

San Diego has been on SACC since the beginning of her CNU career and leads by example of how SACC can contribute to student athlete life.

“This experience has taught me a lot about my own leadership style and how I can lead others outside of a basketball setting. It has pushed me outside my comfort zone as I am responsible for leading others. I find this skill extremely valuable. I am thankful for the opportunity I’ve had to work with a diverse group of people and give back to the community.“

“What are they interested in? And what are the issues that are important to them and how can we be engaged on the campus?” says Carrie Gardner, Assistant Athletic Director and SACC advisor at CNU. 

Gardner additionally expressed SACC’s focus on athlete to athlete connection and support.

“We want people to come to our games, but are you supporting each other? So, how do we ask the rest of the student body to support us if we’re not supporting each other?”

SACC’s main initiative this semester was to introduce Code Blue games. Through their instagram (@cnu_sacc), each varsity team will select an important game calling on student athletes to attend and show support at this specific game.

“It is definitely a process and we want to start with student athletes and then ask the student body to come and join,” says Gardner.

SACC just wrapped up their annual DIII week campaign. This is a week to showcase what is so special about being a student athlete at a DIII school. Each day of the week, SACC had a different theme where they celebrated CNU’s athlete’s additional involvements along with hobbies, athlete’s gratitude for their staff and why the athlete’s chose DIII. On Thursday, they highlighted Softball’s Code Blue game and on Friday they rounded out the week with a mental health kick back.