Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour review

“Don’t Blame Me” for belting the songs and dancing in the theater
Poster of the Eras Tour movie from IMDb
Poster of the Eras Tour movie from IMDb

Fans who lost the Great War with Ticketmaster, or just want to relive their concert experience now have the chance to see Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour in theaters. Released on October 13th, the Eras Tour Concert Film has reached a record breaking $129.8 million sales in the box office. Directed by Sam Wench and distributed by AMC Theaters, The Eras Tour has once again become a viral topic on social media. 

The Eras Tour Concert Film was shot throughout Swift’s first three shows at Sofi Stadium in Inglewood, California. Since its release the film has quickly become the highest-grossing concert film ever, surpassing Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. In presales alone, Swift took in more than $100 million in global sales. It’s grossed another $31 million in its second weekend. It’s the first concert film to top the domestic box office two weekends in a row. 

Unfortunately, the 3 hour long tour has been reduced to 2 hours and 45 minutes. Swift cut 5 songs from the setlist, “The Archer” from the Lover set , “No Body, No Crime” (ft. HAIM) from Evermore, “Long Live” from Speak Now, “Cardigan” from Folklore, and “Wildest Dreams” from 1989. However, fans of “Long Live” get to hear the song in the end credits along with fan videos and pictures from the concert. The time between sets for outfit changes has also been cut and replaced with titles of each of the eras. 

Since they filmed three different shows, fans were eager to find out which two surprise songs would be in the film. “Our Song” and “You’re on Your Own, Kid” were the ones that made the final cut. Probably due to the fact that Swift did not put any of the songs off her debut album in the actual setlist and because the line “so make the friendship bracelets” became a huge part of this concert. 

Concert films are not very common in theaters, so there’s been some debate on how viewers should act while watching the film. Videos surfaced of fans dancing and screaming during the songs, treating it like a concert. Many people do not agree with these actions and feel that the viewers should treat it like a normal movie in theaters, using proper theater etiquette. Many feel that a little singing is fine as long as they can still hear the music. AMC Theaters has encouraged fans to dance and sing as long as it’s not blocking others or ruining the furniture. 

AMC Theaters played up this chance to give fans a concert experience by including Taylor Swift Merch. With the purchase of a ticket fans were given a small Eras Tour Concert poster. They could also purchase cups and popcorn buckets, and in some theaters, a light stick and tote bag. 

The success for this film goes to show that Taylor Swift is not going anywhere any time soon. With the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) this Friday and the return of The Eras Tour next month, fans are eagerly waiting to see what records she will break next.