CNU Day ’24

Over $600,000 in donations
Inflatable game at CAB CNU Day event taken by Alex Noth

Every year on CNU Day, the entire CNU Community (faculty, staff, alumni, and families) is encouraged to donate and help the University fund many different programs and scholarships. CNU Day 2024 was unlike any other, encompassing the theme of “Go[ing] All In.”

The University’s Chief Communications Officer Jim Hanchett was able to provide The Captain’s Log with information on donations from CNU Day 2024. Hanchett said, “Donors contributed more than $600,000 to scholarships and other programs to improve the student experience.” Over 2,000 donors contributed to this including “alumni, faculty, staff, parents of current and former students, current students, and friends of the university,” Hanchett said. 

Lois Wright ‘62 was among the alumni who made donations. She was the very first graduate of Christopher Newport College, a part of a class of one. 

“She is the very definition of a Captain for Life,” Hanchett said.

There were CNU Day celebrations in 24 cities across the globe, “Including, for the first time, one overseas in Glasgow,” Hanchett said. 

Along with the 24 celebrations around the world, the Campus Activities Board (CAB) hosted its annual CNU Day celebration on the Great Lawn.

CAB’s event comprised multiple different activities for students to participate in, including a 3-in-1 sports inflatable which consisted of football, soccer, and basketball, and a mechanical wave-riding machine, which even Captain Chris tried before wiping out. Students could also create customizable license plates to take home, run by the vendor Magic Special Events, and play cornhole on the great lawn.

“CNU day is all about giving to our school and I think it’s a good opportunity for us to boost morale and boost the energy of campus,” said incoming CAB President Julie Stonier.

In the CNUpdate email from Monday, President Bill Kelly said, “ This is a generous community. I am awed by how you organized CNU Day ‘24, participated in the activities, supported the funds with your treasure, and shared your time and talent.”