Guts (Spilled)

Olivia Rodrigo releases 5 new songs
Photo of the Obsessed music video playing on a computer, taken by Fiona Sullivan

Popstar, Olivia Rodrigo really spilled her guts with the release of her deluxe album Guts (Spilled), including 5 new songs. 4 of these songs had already been circulating the internet as they were featured as surprise songs on different Guts vinyl variants. Rodrigo also released an exclusive vinyl record featuring these songs. However, many fans, who could not buy the records, were anxiously awaiting the songs’ release on streaming platforms. Along with those four songs, fans also got a brand new song, “So American” and a music video for the song “Obsessed”. 

The most anticipated deluxe track was the song “Obsessed”. The song gathered attention on Tiktok after a fan posted the vinyl recording of and it grew so popular that Rodrigo included it on the setlist of her Guts World Tour, leaving fans even more excited for its release. It leans more towards the pop rock genre, similar to her songs “All-American Bitch” and “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl”. She sings about being so obsessed with her boyfriend’s ex and how she compares herself to her. Many fans related to the lyrics and were obsessed with Rodrigo’s performance of it.

The other new bonus tracks that were previously released on vinyl include, “Girl I’ve Always Been”, “Stranger”, and “Scared of My Guitar”. “Girl I’ve Always Been” is a fun, folksy song. The sound is very different from any of Rodrigo’s other songs. She seems to be emulating country music with this song. Many fans compare the sound to songs the character Lucy Grey Baird would sing in the movie, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, which Rodrigo also wrote a song for. The other two tracks, “Stranger” and “Scared of My Guitar”, are more similar to other songs on the album, with the slow melody and personal lyrics. “Stranger” talks about how she’s finally over her ex now that he has become a stranger that she once knew. “Scared of my Guitar” talks about how she’s struggling with mixed feelings about her partner. 

The new song, “So American”, is probably the most notably different as it’s the first love song Rodrigo has released. Many fans speculate it’s written about her current boyfriend, English actor, Louis Partridge. It’s more upbeat and a song you could dance too. It really ties the end of the album together on a positive note. 

With Rodrigo currently on tour, fans are wondering whether she’s going to put any of the new tracks on her setlist.