Title IX Committee Review: Next Steps

President Bill Kelly sent out an email last week with the subject line, “Title IX Next Steps.” This follows an email sent out by the Title IX Next Steps Committee on Feb. 16. After presenting their recommendations to President Kelly, a list of actions to be taken was made.  

In the email, Kelly said, “I am grateful to all who have contributed to this university-wide effort over many months to heal the hurt and improve our response.”

The email listed out how the university plans to go “beyond” the baseline set forth by “legal obligations associated with Title IX and related laws.” 

One of the action items listed out is to create a position in the Title IX office for confidential advocacy. This is to “ensure no student believes they are unseen, unheard, or confused at any step in the Title IX process.” 

The next action item is to “search for a new Director of Institutional Compliance/Title IX Coordinator who will lead efforts to prevent discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct on campus, while also fostering a culture of inclusivity and respect,” the email said. This director will ensure that all expectations of Title IX laws are being followed by everyone on campus and in the CNU community. 

The university also plans to outsource “investigations and decision making on reports of Title IX violations.” Lastly, the university plans to continue its efforts in educating the community on Title IX laws and regulations, to ensure that everyone feels safe and heard on campus. 

The Captains Log is meeting with Jacquelyn Barnes, interim Title IX coordinator, to discuss these plans more in depth.