Senior reflection

Editor-in-Chief, closing a chapter
Evelyn Davidson in April of 2024, photo by Katherine Simmons

After hundreds of long nights spent editing and writing stories, and countless articles published over the last four years, I’ve finally made it to my very last issue of The Captain’s Log.  

I truly can’t imagine what my college experience would be like without The Captain’s Log. From late nights in the newsroom, joking and working on layout well past 11pm, to early morning golf cart deliveries, to budget meetings that become vent sessions and run far too long. I don’t think I could pick one particular memory to sum up the friendships I’ve made, the fun I’ve had and the pride I feel in all the work that we have accomplished. However, here’s some brief shoutouts to the editors who have shaped my time with The CLog.

To Savannah, thank you for sticking it out with me these last three years. No one’s ambition impresses me (and also scares me a little) more than yours and I know you’re going to do great things as Panhellenic President. Zickel, it might seem daunting to suddenly find yourself at the helm, but there’s no one more qualified and up for the challenge than you. I’ll miss being your neighbor below. Fiona, I can’t remember what CLog was like before you joined and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish at Columbia. Amanda, thank you for bringing all of our stories to life with your incredible photography skills and for tolerating all my Taylor Swift snubs (you win this week). Trey, I admire your 9-5 grind. I’m thankful that I’ve never had to worry about the sports section in my time as Editor-in-Chief. I bet you’ll miss the excitement of our four hour Monday night layouts. Lindsay, thank you for elevating our online presence, putting up with our New York trip shenanigans and for always trusting my ideas. Jace, you’re the reason we could go to New York – thank you for worrying about the money, so that we don’t have to! Cameron, I appreciate your dedication and your unwavering patience with the chaos that is copy-editing on a deadline.

I’m incredibly lucky and honored to have worked with so many dedicated, driven and passionate journalists. I can’t begin to list all of our amazing staff writers, but I hope each of you knows that the paper would be lost without you.

Although it hurts to close this chapter of my life, I’m excited to see where my words will hit the page next and I look forward to seeing all the amazing stories that The Captain’s Log will tell next. Goodbye for now, Evelyn.