The Inauguration of CNU’s new university president: William Kelly

” That’s what this University is all about…Friends, this is a university that is truly soaring.”

On the morning of Aug. 14, 2023, Christopher Newport University welcomed President William Kelly in an inauguration ceremony not seen in more than a generation. In an event with much fanfare, the proceedings captured the apparent optimism and excitement towards the new President from students and staff alike. 

Gabriel Fischer (Senior) was just one of many interviewed by The Captain’s Log for this event: “I’m super excited to see what President Kelly is going to do, I think he has a lot of potential coming in… I’m just super looking forward to him and his wife Angie.”

The event took place at 10 AM, and while the sun remained mostly obscured by clouds, the heat was oppressive. The university’s event staff were prepared, providing fans and water bottles to the attendees, some of whom were much older or had health challenges. Through it all, many students attended the event in person (with many more attending through a virtual livestream). 

“It was very hot, but it was worth it, it was a once in a lifetime experience. It was amazing,” said sophomore Abby Davis, who attended the event in person.

The event began with a procession of the academic staff in full regalia, accompanied by Scottish bagpipes which was then followed by alumni members of almost every CNU graduating class. Finally, a procession of the university’s leadership and distinguished guests made its way onto the stage. 

Following this, the event carried on into several welcoming speeches that varied between simply welcoming the incoming president on behalf of the student body and staff, and others who chose to highlight CNU’s importance not just within the university, but to the City of Newport News and the entire Commonwealth. 

Among the attendees were state, local and campus leadership, who’s presence that day signified an important event not just for this campus or the city of Newport News, but the Commonwealth at large. 

As a reflection of this significance, Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin was a keynote speaker at the event.

“It was these inspirational champions, these CNU students, that encouraged me so… because they were and are ready to live a life of meaning and consequence and purpose. That’s what this university is all about… Friends, this is a university that is truly soaring,” said Youngkin. 

“Based on Admiral Kelly’s record at the US Coast Guard Academy, CNU and America will be extremely well-served,” he added.

Afterwards, Student Government Association President Kate Bennett made a speech of her own, choosing to focus on CNU’s shared values as a community. 

“We chose and continue to choose CNU because we connect to the core values of professors putting students first, leading lives of significance, serving like a captain,” Bennett said. “We hope you continue to embody and empower these values for us. We hope to form a relationship of active communication with you as you have begun to do for us. Above all we hope that you care for this university as we care for it and we deeply appreciate that you have already begun to show us that you do.”

Other standout moments from this procession of speeches included Brian Pawaka representing the CNU faculty, Nate Fontaine representing the Alumnus as their president, and Brandon Jones speaking on behalf of the staff of CNU. Each of these figures showed through their words and hopes the collective acceptance of incoming President Kelly from all sides of campus life.

Finally, President Kelley took his oath of office and made his speech to those present, and the full text readout was sent to everyone’s CNU emails. 

“I’m really excited because I feel like he said all the right things that our school represents,” said CNU student Logan Gill. “I think that he has a lot of potential and I think he’s got the heart of a captain. I’m really excited about that.”

“I’ve been super excited to meet the new president, and this whole event in general is just a new tradition that they’re bringing in,” CNU junior Dylan Murray said.  “So I’ve been excited to see what is going to come this year. I’m just glad I got the opportunity to be a part of it.”

Kale Carlson (Junior), agreed, “I think that the event was a really good opportunity that I don’t think a lot of people will have anytime soon, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to come here.”

Members from the Student Government Association(SGA) were out in force for this event. 

“It was great to hear from so many different representatives from all sides of campus life, but especially to hear from President Kelly himself,” said Connor Butterworth (Senior) ‘Student Affairs’ for SGA’s Leadership Team. “He had some very great words of wisdom and I think what he emphasized a lot on was about how much he wanted to continue the student culture, as the student is the most important part. That is something I know I will definitely appreciate and I know a lot of other students will appreciate here at CNU.”

Patrick Brantley, also on the SGA leadership team as their ‘Community Outreach’ joined in Butterworth’s optimism towards the new president.

“When I heard President Kelly speak, I was impressed,” Brantley said. “I had high hopes and I’m certain my hopes will come to fruition and that we as a university and the administration with President Kelley at the helm will do great things, not just this year but in the coming years for all of our captains.”