How the Government Didn’t Shutdown

For the past several weeks, the anticipation in the news and among the American public was that the U.S. federal government would have a shutdown. This was because the U.S. Congress, who determines the annual budget, could not come to a consensus over the allocation of funds, or how much and where that money goes.

After long debate, including a funding bill that had passed the Senate but could not receive the support needed to pass through the House of Representatives, a stopgap measure was finally approved. This stopgap measure keeps the government open for the next 47 days, but does not decide on the official budget for the next fiscal year.

In the aftermath of this close decision, Speaker for the House of Representatives Kevin McCarthy(R) could face a challenge from elements of his party, namely the far right “Freedom Caucus” and Representative Matt Gaetz. The reason they cite for this removal is that McCarthy cut a deal with Democrats to get the stopgap measure approved, rather than compromising with the Caucus over cutting aid to Ukraine.

This challenge is taking the form of a vote to oust McCarthy from the speakership, a position he won back in December by a very narrow margin after several days of repeated voting. Needless to say, it’s a threat that if followed through on could be a serious shakeup to the Congress and representative of the current divisions within the Republican party.