What’s up weather?

Flip-flopping weather ruins the fall vibes

Now that summer is officially over, I have gone home, deposited all my summer clothes into a bin under my bed, and pulled out those chunky sweaters and boots.  Now, one thing I did not think about was the fact that I live in a state where the weather changes literally in an instant. You can go from having a really cold week to having a couple days dispersed in the month that are 65-70 degrees. I’d like to call myself smart and say that I brought back all my warmer weather clothes in exchange for my sweaters, jeans, and leggings, but the reality is that you should not leave 90% of your warmer weather wardrobe at home during the fall season in Virginia.

I remember waking up very late on a Monday morning. I did not have time to check the weather on my phone and assumed it would be cold outside. I put on the heaviest pair of sweatpants I owned and a hoodie. You can only assume where this story goes. I go outside and I feel fine. I mean I couldn’t tell if it was cold outside or if I was just warm in what I was wearing. However, the second I started sprinting, I was sweating so badly. When I got to class I felt like I was dying of heatstroke. The entire time, I was pondering why it was 70 degrees in November.

Not only am I sweating so much, but the warm weather in November just ruins the vibe of fall. How can I enjoy the fall aesthetic of holding a pumpkin spice latte in my hand while wearing my favorite flannel, if I’m sweating to death in the process? Just the other day, my mom ordered me a nice halloween shirt from Amazon but had to make sure that it was short sleeved because it was supposed to be very warm on the week of Halloween. 

I’m not sure about you, but having this warm weather in fall feels very off to me. Not only does it feel like we are in a faux summer, but because of the constant temperature shift from colder to warmer weather, many people are starting to feel unwell. My hope is that from here on out, we receive colder weather without the days of warm weather so that we can really get into the vibe of fall.