Winter Weather

Students deal with cold temperatures

Over the last two weeks, temperatures in Newport News have ranged anywhere from 18 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Students have endured all kinds of conditions including rain, sleet, and snow. The colder temperatures make it even harder for students to find the motivation to leave the warmth of their beds and bear the cold trip to their class. Students have to wear multiple layers of clothing only to take them off once in the classroom. Commuter Students also find themselves scraping ice off of their windshields each morning. Not only are the temperatures preying upon those with an already low motivation, but it has led to an increase in illnesses such as cold and flu.

Freshman Lizzie Childress said she usually loves the cold weather winter and all that entails but that these conditions are affecting her motivation to make the walk to class. She said it feels as if it takes almost 15 minutes to defrost anytime after a trip into the cold. Other students have reported their frustration with a lack of any snow for the peninsula, despite these temperatures.

Another student, Charlotte Costic, was reported saying while walking on campus: “Personally I feel like the cold is one of those things that exists with zero purpose.” Charlotte also said that when walking to class, the cold weather hurts her ears and that her hands freeze.

The cold weather not only discourages students when it comes to going to class but it also creates fewer opportunities for students to go out and have fun with their friends. Long gone are the days when groups of students could hang out on the great lawn for hours on end. The cold weather is not only creating difficulty when going to class but also when trying to socialize with friends.

The best part about living on campus is that typically friends either live right down the hall or are a short distance away. Having friends in closer proximity helps eliminate the amount of time spent out in the cold. Almost all students interviewed agree that they could not wait for the warm weather to come back and send the cold back to where it belongs.