Stanley vs. Owala

Is the product better or is it just more popular?
Stanley Cup, photo courtesy
of Charlotte Costic
Stanley Cup, photo courtesy of Charlotte Costic

When it comes down to it, is the quality of the water bottle different, or have consumers just assumed a difference? Back in 2020, when the freshman class of 2023 was entering high school it was all about Hydro Flasks and scrunchies. At the time a Hydro Flask was the best water bottle you could own and everyone wanted one. However, not long after that, the first Stanley Cup was announced and the Hydro Flask became a thing of the past. 

Stanleys proved to be more practical because, unlike a Hydro Flask, Stanleys could be placed into cup holders. Not only this, but they also feature a handle that makes it easier to carry throughout everyday life.

I personally do not own a Stanley Cup, but I do have an off-brand Stanley. When I first got my cup, I loved it and thought it was the perfect water bottle. To this day, I continue to carry it everywhere because it helps me reach my water goals. My Stanley makes it much easier to drink water because it’s easier to drink from a straw than it is directly out of a bottle. Though now I am starting to love it less and less. However practical with an open straw and handle, Stanleys tend to spill very easily and prove hard to carry with full hands. Stanleys may fit into cup holders but they do not safely fit into side pockets of book bags designated to hold water bottles. 

Just looking around campus I have seen fewer and fewer girls carrying Stanleys around with them. In my lecture hall when I look down the row I only notice one or two Stanleys whereas, at the beginning of the fall semester, there were at least five or six in a row.

Recently Owala water bottles have been on the rise with more and more people trading in their Stanleys for this new bottle. Owala has most recently become popular on TikTok – like everything else – due to the bottle having two methods of drinking. The Owala has a sip function and a chug function that is protected by an outer seal to limit germ contamination. This is one thing Stanleys can not compete with because Stanleys’ straws are completely and constantly exposed to the outside world. Personally, I have been sucked into wanting to buy the newest product, even if it is just a water bottle. I am currently shopping for an Owala because my Stanley is slowly becoming a hassle to carry around, especially if I have another drink in my hand. With the flu going around and having just gotten over the flu earlier in the semester,  I have become oddly aware of just how many germs I am exposing myself to by continuing to drink out of my Stanley straw. Rumors about Stanleys containing harmful levels of lead have also spread online. However, the Stanley company announced that the product has to be damaged in order to expose its consumers to lead risk. Not only is Owala the new consumer product of the year, but it seems to be the safer option. 

Owala vs. Stanley has become very controversial because there are people who support both sides. Recently Target released their new Valentine’s Day Stanleys which had consumers standing in line for hours before the store opened just to purchase them. Target had to make a two-per-customer limit due to the high demand for these holiday edition cups. In my opinion, people do not need two or three different Stanleys. Just having one means that once the new water bottle of the year comes out, you won’t have spent so much money on multiples. Even if you think this will not be you, it probably will be. In the end Owalas are not superior to Stanleys and Stanleys are not superior to Owala. Owala just happens to be the new trendy water bottle at the moment. We all tend to fall victim to the new trends and products. Will Stanleys, like Hydro Flasks, slowly be replaced by the next trendy product in the future?