Has Taylor Swift exhausted her own power?

There’s a time and a place for major Taylor Swift announcements… it’s not the Grammys
Taylor Swift concert, photo courtesy of Samantha Spears

It’s no secret that Taylor Swift is one of the most influential people of our time. Her power expands further than her music. It expands further than The Eras Tour. It has reached NFL viewership. It has even boosted voting percentages. But at what point does it become too much? When does Taylor Swift exhaust her own power? Well, if you’ve ever heard the unspoken rule of never proposing at someone else’s wedding, you know what I’m about to say. Taylor Swift officially made people bored with her success by announcing her 15th album, “The Tortured Poet’s Department” at the Grammys. The same Grammys that she already predictably dominates every. Single. Year. 

I have no particular feelings towards Taylor Swift. I respect her success and the literal empire she has built. She has clearly made a positive impact on a lot of people. In fact, I find myself vouching for her when I hear the ridiculously dramatic claim that she “ruined football.” A woman supporting her boyfriend equates to ruining the sport? What part about her attending a game impacts the fundamentals of football? What exactly about the sport is ruined? Please. People hate to see a woman repeatedly shown in a predominantly male environment. What’s new? But that’s an opinion for another time. The point is, I really have never minded Taylor. But there’s something so unsettling about her using an acceptance speech to announce her new album.

It really does give the same energy as proposing at a wedding. There were many people being celebrated that night. Miley Cyrus winning her FIRST Grammy? After dropping the most head-banging rock album “Plastic Hearts” 4 years ago? Let’s talk about that, not Taylor’s FIFTEENTH studio album. There’s a time and place for that. Let other people have their moment, Taylor, because you’ve had plenty. 

I’m all for Taylor’s success. I’m sure this album will top charts, break records, maybe break hearts – who knows? I’m happy for her. I just wish she had read the room when she made the decision to announce her album, knowing that it would snatch the limelight from so many other talented artists in attendance.