5 Republicans and 5 Democrats who could run in 2028

Predictions for the political future of America
Democratic and Republican mascots, photo from Unsplash

While it may seem ridiculous to begin to predict who could run in 2028, many politicians are laying the groundwork today for a shot at the Oval Office in four years. It may be important to start remembering these names now as many seek an opportunity to ascend to the top, regardless of this election’s outcome.

Democrats:

1.Vice President Kamala Harris

While the Vice President sits at a 52% disapproval rating among Americans, that has not stopped her from campaigning hard for President Biden. Her clout as VP very well sets her up to be the Democratic nominee in 2028 if she chooses to run for it.

2.Governor Gavin Newsom

It’s almost a guarantee that the California governor will run in 2028. He’s set up a giant PAC and debated Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Fox News. He’s already traveled around the country campaigning for Democratic candidates and appeared in the minds of voters across the nation. It’s very likely he will be seen running for president soon.

3.Governor Josh Shapiro

The Governor of Pennsylvania, one of the largest swing states, sits at a comfortable 59% approval rating and has gained support for his handling of the I-95 collapse and multiple bipartisan bills. 

4.Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigeg 

Secretary Buttigeg was only a Mayor during his 2020 presidential campaign but ended up finishing in 5th place out of 29 major candidates. He has remained in the limelight since as a member of the Cabinet, boosting his brand while campaigning for other Democrats, but his handling of the current post has created some potential political hiccups. 

5.Governor Gretchen Whitmer

Another swing state executive, the Michigan governor’s progressive policies on abortion, voters rights and labor have been very popular among voters. Even though Michigan is such a swing state, she’s proven how being unabashed in her beliefs works and resonates with voters, making her a major contender for 2028.

Other potential Democratic candidates include Governor Andy Beshear (KY), Senator Jon Ossoff (GA), Congressman Ro Khanna (CA), and Senator John Fetterman (PA)

Republicans

1.Former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley

It seems very unlikely that Nikki Haley will win the nomination in 2024, but she’s on the mind of many Republicans, both anti-Trump and other factions. If Trump loses, it could be her best bet to promote her own conservative brand when the election cycle comes back around. Second place now may not be a death sentence for her. 

2.Governor Brian Kemp

Brian Kemp may seem like an unlikely choice considering his opposition to Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election, as well as attempts to stop the former president’s trial in Georgia. But he easily sailed to reelection in 2022 and enjoys popularity without a potential albatross of Trump. He might be the unifying candidate the GOP wants in 4 years.

3.Senator J.D. Vance 

The junior millennial Senator from Ohio has arguably become one of Trump’s most valuable Senate allies. The former venture capitalist and author-turned-politician has support among the more populist branches of the party. While his youth is enticing to some who are desperate to stop nominating older candidates, it’s a question of if he can unify the party and be the right successor to Trump voters in four years.  

4.Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders

The Arkansas Governor is an enticing pick for social conservatives wanting a young leader. Her father, former Governor Mike Huckabee, was a leading contender in 2008 by appealing to those social conservatives in the Bible Belt. That plus her loyalty to Trump could help her become the GOP pick in 2028.

5.Governor Ron DeSantis

Even after an undoubtedly dismal performance in this primary season, the ire of the Trump wing of the GOP, and his decline in popularity, Ron DeSantis may very well be back. If he can stay off the radar long enough, voters might be able to look past his mistakes. But who’s to say?

Other potential Republican candidates include: Senator Josh Hawley (MO), Senator Katie Britt (AL), Vivek Ramaswamy, and Governor Greg Abbott (TX).