Oher Conservatorship Becomes Controversial

A Heartwarming Story Turns Sour
Michael Oher image from Los Angeles Times

In 2009, the film “The Blind Side” released to theaters, based on the novel of the same name. The film garnered over $309.2 million at the box office as well as an Oscar for Best Actress for Sandra Bullock, considered largely successful even today. The film followed the story of former NFL left tackle Michael Oher and the Tuohy family. It was meant to be a heartwarming story about a wealthy family welcoming in a teenager who came from a bad neighborhood in Memphis. But in August 2023, the veneer of this feel good movie cracked to reveal a much more unsavory truth. 

Oher, now retired from the NFL, sued Leigh Ann and Sean Tuohy. In the lawsuit, Oher claimed that the couple never actually adopted him and instead tricked him into signing a document that made them conservators. Oher alleged in the 14 page petition that the conservatorship allowed the couple to make business deals in Oher’s name, have final domain over his financial and medical decisions, and make alleged millions in earnings from the film. The suit claimed Oher was not aware of this until February 2023 and now wants to bar the Tuohy family from using his name or likeness as well as obligating him to a cut of their profits from previous use of his name and likeness. 

Mike didn’t grow up with a stable family life. When the Tuohy family told Mike they loved him and wanted to adopt him, it filled a void that had been with him his entire life…discovering that he wasn’t actually adopted devastated Mike and wounded him deeply,” Oher’s attorney told ESPN.

The Touhys released a statement via their attorneys denying the allegations by saying that Oher had been aware of the conservatorship for years and had attempted to “shake down” the family for $15 million. They claimed that Oher threatened to plant a negative story in the press if he was not compensated. One of the couple’s lawyers told a crowd of reporters, “We won’t be strong armed, we won’t be extorted.” The couple also expressed a willingness to terminate the conservatorship and emphasized their continued love for Oher as a son.

Sean Touhy admitted to the Daily Memphian that Oher was placed under a conservatorship but said it was due to the fact the NCAA was concerned about the 18 year-old Oher playing football with Ole Miss, where the family are boosters. However, many legal experts have disputed this claim as adult adoptions are perfectly legal in the state of Tennessee with two consenting parties.

As far as supposed earnings, it is still unknown how much the family received from the film’s success. The couple’s biological son, SJ Tuohy, told Barstool Sports he still receives $50,000 to $60,000 annually from the film. The author of the novel, Michael Lewis, told The Washington Post that he split the profits of the film 50-50 with the family as well as that he has only received a total of $70,000 since 2009.

Regardless of the outcome of the suit, it has undeniably distorted public perception of the film. The film has come under scrutiny in the past for its portrayal of the “white savior narrative” and from Oher, who has criticized the film’s many inaccuracies about his character prior to meeting the family. The happy Hollywood ending of the film is far removed from the reality of all involved in this story.