Lighting up the Night

CNU students share their thoughts for the new year
Photo taken at Light the Night by Savannah Dunn

As a sophomore, I’ve attended Christopher Newport University’s infamous tradition of “Light the Night” for two years in a row. Light the Night is an evening event hosted by the Student Government Association (SGA) and the Campus Activities Board (CAB). The event was held on the Great Lawn in front of Christopher Newport Hall where President and Mrs. Kelly as well as SGA President Kate Bennet led the count down to the glow stick throw. This is to celebrate the first week of classes and the start of a fantastic year at CNU.

Various students were interviewed about their thoughts for the first semester. “I’m looking forward to becoming more involved on campus,” said Emily Sarar. As a way to accomplish this, Sarar mentioned that she wanted to be a part of CAB.

There are multiple ways to be involved on campus other than joining organizations. Jake Chandler says, “I’m looking forward to making new friends and forming tight communities with people this semester.” Many people also focus more on academics, such as Austin Hindman, who says he’s excited for “Getting to learn more about [his] career and getting [his] bachelors.”

As well as interviewing those about the upcoming semester, people were also asked about how much they enjoyed Light the Night.

“I think Light the Night is a great event for students to release their energy over the summer,” said Ben Pasquarella. David Okonkwo also added his thoughts, saying, “Light the Night was fun, though I just keep getting hit in the head with glow sticks.”

All in all, this was a fabulous way to celebrate the start of a new school year and welcome the class of 2027 to campus. Cheers to another great semester and an even better year here at CNU.