Claire’s Corner

Question: How do you reduce stress before finals?
Picture of Claire Hall, curtesy of Claire Hall

The last two weeks before finals are very hectic. There are lots of papers, projects and reviews that have to be turned in and it can cause massive amounts of stress. Not only that, but you also have to study for your final exams as well. With that being said, I have a list of tips that will help you go into these last couple of weeks feeling confident that you will survive.

• Make a task schedule

This is one of the most important things you should do before you start on anything. It will help you figure out what is due ASAP and what you can work on at a later date. There are two ways to go about this, the first one is creating a schedule on your Google Calendar. There is a specific button that lets you put in a task and then once you complete it, you can cross it off your calendar. The second way that I usually do is to write it down on a sheet of paper. I like to color code to make sure I stay organized and am turning my assignments in on time. 

• Leave room for some fun

When working overtime, it can be easy to become burnt out. Make sure you take a break, whether that be going to the beach for a couple hours or even just shopping to clear your head. Leaving campus and doing something else can help with stress and can have you coming back to a task feeling well balanced and calm. If you can’t or don’t want to leave campus, watching TV, taking a walk, or reading a book can also help stress and make you more mindful.

• Go to office hours if you have questions

I can’t stress enough about how important office hours are. Especially since the last two weeks are very hectic, office hours will be booming with students. So, if you have a lot of questions that you want to ask your professor one on one, don’t wait until the last minute, go now. That way, your professor can walk you through everything before you start that paper or project. 

Remember that you are an academic weapon and you should radiate confidence. Everyone struggles during these last two weeks with stress overload; you are not alone. Reach out if you are struggling with stress. Good luck with these next two weeks Captains!