Claire’s Corner

“Do you have any study tips for studying for exams?”

I do have studying tips for exams, whether this be midterms, finals, or just any exam in between! I’ll share my all time top three favorite tips that have helped me excel since my time here at Christopher Newport University.

• Flashcards

For all my folks who do not like to write, you should turn that around and make some handmade flashcards. The key idea with this is that because you are writing them down, your brain will more than likely remember what you wrote down on the flashcards during the exam. As a pro tip, make sure you start these flashcards two to three days before your exam so not only are you jotting down stuff you need to remember, but you are also able to use these to go back and study before your exam.

• Stop, Drop, and Go Method 

This is one of my D.I.Y methods that I came up with during my senior year of high school before taking three AP Exams (yes, I know the name is very cheesy). Basically, how this method works is that you set a timer (anywhere from one to five minutes) and you jot down anything you can remember about the subject you are studying. Once the timer stops, you drop down a column on the paper and then write what you missed and need to look over. After that, you drop another column down and try again. Keep doing this process until you remember a majority of what you need to know. 

• SLEEP

On a normal day, I don’t get more than about five to six hours of sleep, which is not that healthy when you have a busy day ahead of you. However, I’m telling you that sleeping less than five hours isn’t good when you have an exam the next day. Personally, I tend to do better on exams when I get between six to nine hours of sleep. Sleep makes all of the difference and it keeps you mentally motivated to seek the highest grade you can possibly get.