Claire’s Corner

“How do I get more involved on Campus?”

Being involved in college is one of the most memorable experiences of all time. There are so many different ways to get involved on campus and I’ll be sharing some tips on how I got involved starting my freshman year here at CNU.

• Find your interests 

The first thing you want to do before you join any clubs or organizations is to find your interests. There is practically a club for anyone and anything on campus, you just need to ask yourself what you consider ‘fun’ and ‘interesting.’ Now, it is important to consider that whatever club or organization you pick will actually be something that you enjoy doing, not something that feels like a chore. Whether you’re interested in service, Greek Life, or a club with any particular interest of yours, you should definitely reach out to the club sponsors and go to interest meetings.

• Don’t be afraid to try something new

Sometimes it can be very difficult to try something new, especially if it’s the middle of the semester and you are just now joining a club or organization. It can feel scary to join a new club with people that you don’t know, but sometimes those people could end up being your closest friends. Lots of clubs and organizations are often tabling or spreading the word about their club or organization to encourage people to become involved, especially since a lot of their members are seniors that are graduating soon. Putting yourself out there and going after your interests are so important because it’s the best way to get more involved on campus as well as making some amazing friends and memories along the way.

• Watch your schedule

While joining clubs and organizations can sound very fun when coming to campus, make sure that you don’t overload yourself with a lot of different things. It can be so easy to have things stacked on your plate, so it’s always good to make sure you space out your time and have time for yourself. When you overload your schedule, you’ll feel more burnout and therefore start enjoying things less. To avoid this problem, try and categorize what clubs and organizations are top priority to you and eliminate those that you don’t care so much for. 

I hope these tips helped you when wanting to become more involved on campus. I hope you make a lot of core memories in the organizations and clubs that you decided to join!