UEFA Champions League draw recap

The road to Wembley begins
UEFA Champions League logo from Flickr

On August 31, the UEFA Champions League Group Stage was finalized. This was done through a draw that was held in Monaco where the teams were drawn out and given the group letter they were assigned to.

The top two teams from each group will advance to the knockout stages, the third place team will head to the Round of 32 in the UEFA Europa League, and the fourth-placed team will be eliminated from european competition altogether.

The most intriguing group that was drawn was Group F, otherwise known as the “Group of Death.” This includes PSG, Bayern, AC Milan, and Newcastle. The two teams that advance will be ready for the knockout stages.

Group A is one with Manchester United and Bayern Munich, two noteworthy teams, with lesser known Copenhagen and Galatasaray being drawn in with them. While Manchester United and Bayern Munich are expected to make it out of the group stage, Copenhagen and Galatasaray will also be trying to advance to the knockout stages. 

Group B includes Arsenal, PSV, Sevilla, and RC Lens. Arsenal, PSV, and Sevilla will all be fighting for the two spots into the knockout stages.

Group C consists of Napoli, Real Madrid, Braga, and Union Berlin. Real Madrid and Napoli are the favorites to advance, but Union Berlin has a lot of momentum from their fourth-place finish in the Bundesliga and will be looking to play spoiler.

Group D includes Benfica, Inter Milan, Salzburg, and Real Sociedad. Benfica and Inter Milan are the favorites to make it out of the group. However, Salzburg is coming off of a title-winning season in the Bundesliga and could pull off an upset.

Group E consists of Feyenoord, Atletico Madrid, Lazio, and Celtic. Atletico Madrid are the heavy favorites to win the group, while Feyenoord and Lazio will battle it out for the other spot to advance to the knockout stages.

Group G includes Manchester City, RB Leipzig, Red Star Belgrade, and Young Boys. Manchester City and RB Leipzig should progress to the round of 16 in this one, while Red Star Belgrade and Young Boys will be attempting to pull off a major upset.

Group H consists of Barcelona, Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk, and Royal Antwerp. Barcelona and Porto are the favorites in the group. This also marks Royal Antwerps first ever appearance in the UEFA Champions League.

The UEFA Champions League Group Stage will begin on September 19 and September 20. Every match can be watched on the streaming service Paramount+.