Fall date night ideas

Cute ways to make the season more romantic
Boo basket by Evelyn Davidson

We are well into the fall season – a time for all-things pumpkin, colorful leaves and sweater weather. The main attraction for many people right now is probably Spooky Season, where Halloween festivities center around friend activities, such as group costumes and scary movie nights. However, for those who aren’t diehard Halloween fans and who are looking for cute ways to make the season more romantic, here’s five fall date night ideas. 

Carter Mountain day trip

This is definitely not the closest or easiest date idea, as Charlottesville is roughly two hours from CNU; however, a day trip to Carter Mountain is definitely worth the trouble. Despite being a long trip, the drive up gives you the opportunity to spend some quality time with your significant other (SO) , sometimes a rarity for busy college students. After picking some delicious apples from the orchards, you and your SO can share some fresh apple cider donuts, enjoy the view of the mountains and cuddle up in the crisp, windy weather. You can also explore the many shops in Charlottesville together. If you and your partner like flipping through novels in a quiet little bookstore or shopping in cute boutiques, then this would be the perfect activity to round out your apple-picking date.

Fall cooking night

Some say that the way to one’s heart is through their stomach, so what could be better than a cooking date! This can be lowkey, no one has to get dressed up, or even leave the comforts of the dorm; just pick up some cute fall themed ingredients and get to cooking. Perhaps you can whip up a comforting soup that’s perfect for the chillier weather, make Halloween cookies or even bake a pie together.

Pumpkin picking

Pumpkin picking might seem really basic, but it’s a classic, go-to fall activity for a reason. Not only is it picturesque and a casual way to enjoy each other’s company, but you can also take your lovely pumpkins home and carve them up!! Have a pumpkin carving competition or if the stench of raw pumpkin guts grosses you out, try painting them.

Evening in Yorktown

If you’re looking to get away from the CNU bubble, but not quite as far as Carter Mountain, then Yorktown is the perfect place for you and your SO! Not only are there plenty of little shops and restaurants to choose from, but the atmosphere, especially in the evening, is perfect for a quiet date night. Live that cheesy John Green ideal by taking a romantic walk along the water and admiring the stars in the sky.

Movie night and boo buckets

Warm blankets, popcorn, a classic fall/halloween movie – doesn’t that sound like the perfect way to spend a date night with your SO? Put on a classic like “Halloweentown” or “Hocus Pocus,” hit the lights and cuddle up on the couch for the evening. You can make the night even more fun by exchanging boo buckets. This part just requires a little extra planning ahead, but as long as you know what your partner likes, you can put any treats or surprises in their bucket. Go to the store and pick up your partner’s favorite fall snacks, a set of cute fuzzy socks or a cozy hat and a fun fall mug. Maybe your SO has a book they’ve been eyeing or they collect squshmallows (look for the fall/halloween themed mini squishmallows!). You really can’t go wrong as long as you put some thought into it!