Who is the Big Man on Campus?

ZTA hosts second annual charity for breast cancer awareness
Big Man on Campus contestants, courtesy of Gabie Rizzo

This year’s Big Man on Campus event, hosted by Zeta Tau Alphas sorority, had 15 contestants each representing an on-campus organization. Big Man on Campus ended the night with Kia Samuelson winning first place and a tie for second place by John Byrd and AJ Muir. Contestants competed in a dance showcase with a lip sync component, and finished with a fashion show where they showed off their pink outfits.

“We host [BMOC] yearly to raise money and awareness toward our philanthropy as well as participate on campus with other organizations,” said Karli Wilson, Vice President of Philanthropy and Fundraising for Zeta Tau Alpha.

They choose to hold the event in October because it’s National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Ultimately, ZTA raised $2,714.02 for their charity. They also donated $100 to Samuelson’s choice of charity, Big Brother Big Sister. This was the partnered charity of the fraternity he was representing, Sigma Phi Epsilon. 

“It felt surreal to win the event… I devoted all my time, energy and passion into this event and to be recognized as the Big Man was an honor” said Samuelson.

He thanked all the people that helped him win the competition, including his three backup dancers and his parents. He chose to participate in the event as a way to challenge himself.

“It is not easy to be in front of a crowd with all eyes on you. However, what’s most important is to make the best of the situation… step out of your comfort zone,” he said.

During the dance competition, the contestants kept the crowd engaged and energized. Some did this through their unique outfits such as capes and shades, which helped express the contestant’s personality. Some decided to use props such as money, roses and saxophones. Others chose to do flashy stunts, such as finishing their performance with a backflip.

Next came the fashion show, where contestants dressed in just about anything pink. Whether that was in a pink flamingo outfit, a pink cowboy hat, or a pink speedo and covered in pink paint. Throughout the event, the crowd was clapping and cheering for all of the contestants as they raised money for Breast Cancer Education and Awareness.

Joey Bartoo, a contestant in the competition, chose to compete because it was a great way to bring awareness to a charity and support it as well. 

“This helps those in need while also creating a greater sense of community on campus,” he said.